"FUNDAMENTALS OF PHOTOGRAPHY"
"Good photographs don’t just happen; they are created!"
Fundamentals of Photography is our comprehensive beginners class for hobby photographers. This class will help you put your passion for photography into action and put you in control of creating your photos, whether you are wanting to take better pictures of your kids, improve your travel photos, or even if you dream of going pro! You will learn the basic controls on a digital camera and how to use your camera to create beautiful images that stand out from the rest.
This class will be held in three sessions on consecutive nights:
Session 1 - Tuesday June 14 7:00pm - 8:30pm
- What? - Elements of Exposure (The exposure triangle) - Learn the three basic settings that will affect your images: Aperture, ISO, Shutter Speed
- How? - Hands on demonstration of each setting. How to change each setting in your camera. How they relate to each other.
Session 2 - Wednesday June 15 7:00pm - 8:30pm
- Why? – Why do we care about the exposure triangle? Why do we change each setting? Demonstration of what each setting does to an image. Learn how to freeze action shots, create “bokeh” (blurry background), take photos in low-light, and more.
Session 3 - Thursday June 16 7:00pm - 8:30pm
- Now What? - Now that you know how your camera captures an image, and how to control your camera settings to achieve the look you want, we’ll have an introductory lesson on "Setting Up the Shot". You’ll learn the basics of composition and lighting and how to take a “typical” image to the next level.
BONUS SESSION: TBD
Students that take this Fundamentals of Photography class are invited to one hands-on group practice session where they can use their camera, ask questions of the instructor and work with other students. The session will be in an outdoor public area with plenty of opportunities to capture images (local park, sports event, etc). This bonus session is optional and will have a nominal additional cost to be collected once a specific date has been set. We plan to host several of these bonus sessions throughout the year, but Fundamentals of Photography will be a pre-requisite for attending.
Additional Benefits of Registration:
- You will have access to a private Facebook group led by the instructor. This invitation-only group will allow for ongoing photography dialogue, honest photo critiquing, tips/tricks, tutorials, questions/answers, and more. Participation in the exclusive group is completely voluntary. It is meant to be a bonus learning environment to supplement the classes.
- This class will be video-recorded and the video will be made available to you after the class has completed. You will be able to review key parts of the class at your leisure.
- Each class will have basic PowerPoint slides, hands on demonstrations, and visuals.
In order to respect your time and the time of the instructor, we will start promptly at 7:00pm and will try to end promptly at 8:30pm. We have a TON of material to cover in a relatively short amount of time, so we will ask that you reserve camera-specific questions for the Facebook photography group.
Light refreshments will be provided.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
"The only thing that is constant is change" - Heraclitus. Photography allows us to ignore that change for a moment, and capture a thought, an idea, a certain look or a view. A photo can expose the honest image of what we see, as we see it, or it can represent what we imagine or wish for.
In spite of quoting a Greek philosopher, I try not to take myself too seriously. I'm a guy with a camera. I love photography, I love capturing the beauty and form of what's in front of me...and I love sharing that with anyone who's interested. I enjoy running, hiking, food and of course my wonderful family. Just a few of the areas I work in are:
- Fitness/Sports Modeling
- Event Photography
- Product Marketing
- Conceptual Photography